Thursday 13 December 2012

Shutterbug

Over the weekend the unthinkable happened—my DSLR died. It's probably fair to say that I in fact killed it with over-use. That camera was my faithful companion for the last four years capturing over 100,000 moments in time. My camera feels like an extension of myself, so of course it all of a sudden felt like a piece of me was missing. From capturing family, friends, pets and wildlife, to traveling the world with me, and capturing the birth of my beautiful daughter, the camera has been like a trusted friend. 

My husband and father were quite shocked at how devastated I was when the screen went black for the last time. My father shouldn't have been surprised at my sadness as it was he who first gave me the shutter bug, an enthusiast himself who actively encouraged me in my photographic pursuits. From the days of film with a darkroom set up at home, to the ease of digital technology and terabytes of storage, photography has always been one of the ways I define myself.

Try as I might, I am still an amateur, and gone are the days where I can spend hours setting up shots and refining techniques. Since The Bean arrived my camera is used more for glorified snapshots than anything else, but taking photos remains a huge part of my daily life. There is a chance that The Bean is more familiar with my camera and lenses than she is with my face, but I hope that one day she appreciates that I have been able to capture so many precious moments.

Farewell old friend.





 

Special thanks to my husband for happily letting us plunge a little further into debt so that I could replace old faithful xo

No comments:

Post a Comment