Thursday 18 October 2012

On the right path

Graduation day for my Fearless Flyers course involved a return flight to Melbourne. The flight there was difficult to say the least, and also slightly embarrassing when upon landing the crew invited the rest of the passengers to give our group a round of applause (presumably for not freaking out and causing an incident). After a pretty incredible day visiting the air traffic control centre, the crew training centre, and spending some time in a flight simulator worth tens of millions of dollars, we flew home to enjoy a graduation ceremony of sorts involving champagne and an overwhelming sense of relief. 

My husband met me at the airport with our luggage and we jumped straight on another plane to begin our trip to Canada. To say I was smug is an understatement. “Look at me FLY!” I thought. The sense of achievement was so great I felt like I was piloting the plane myself. 

Boarding our international flight the following morning I babbled excitedly to our flight attendant about having just graduated as a Fearless Flyer. After take-off she approached me and said that from where she was sitting as the plane ascended, she had witnessed another passenger experience what she described as the ‘worst silent freak-out’ she had ever seen from a fearful flyer. She asked if wouldn’t mind having a chat to the passenger so, armed with my Fearless Flyers Handbook (which I felt I no longer needed) and my relaxation music, I approached the lady in question and pulled her out of her seat for a chat. We stood and talked for a while and she seemed to feel better. I think my excitement and confidence must have been palpable. I gave her the book and my address and told her to keep it and read it until she felt she didn’t need it anymore.





I survived the long flight over the Pacific Ocean and the rocky flight over the Rocky Mountains and we spent a magical, exhilarating few weeks in a heartbreakingly beautiful part of the world. I didn’t spend our trip dreading the flights home, and was instead able to just live in the moment and enjoy the trip of a lifetime. I did have a few low moments where I reflected on how much I had missed out on in the past decade—the holidays, the experiences, and the opportunities—but I vowed that from then on, I would never return to my old ways.






We arrived safe and sound at home to a message on the answering machine telling us that we had won a trip to Hong Kong and this time there were no tears. A few weeks later when the lady from the plane returned my book to me accompanied by a beautiful letter I realised just how much things had changed in a few short weeks.


The Fearless Flyers course had given me back not only my freedom but also my confidence and a feeling of rejuvenation. I felt like I was ready to take on the world, and to fulfil the promise I had made to myself if I ever managed to get on a plane without panicking. I could do anything. I could face the greatest and most significant challenge one might ever face—have a baby.

What a beautiful twist of fate it was that led my husband to go to a particular store to buy me the Star Trek DVD that I wanted for Christmas just so that he could enter a competition to win a trip to Canada. Little did we know how just how much of an effect that seemingly insignificant act would have on our lives!

No comments:

Post a Comment