Tuesday 22 October 2013

Quiet time

After the arrival of The Bean, my husband and I used to wonder what we did with our time pre-child. We fantasise that we used to read books, watch movies, and sleep in. We probably got things done around the house when we weren't sitting around counting our disposable income. I know for certain that I used to have more time to take photos (although this is an activity that I have finally managed to drag into my post-child life in the form of a business venture). I am probably healthier now that I no longer have the time or inclination to indulge in excessive partying on the weekends. As anyone who has had the opportunity to combine a hangover with the responsibility of caring for a small child can attest to, it's just not worth it.

Over the last week or so I have had the chance to experience what life was like when I had time to myself, and it is just as I remember it—wonderful! There are a few days a week that The Bean is in child care and now that I am on maternity leave I have had the luxury of some time at home alone. I've been getting plenty of things done around the place—tidying, organising, general nesting, packing hospital bags and the like. I've been doing some enjoyable things like baking some yummy treats from this little beauty, getting some backdated posts up on our business blog so it is ready to launch, reading, watching the roses in my garden bloom, putting my feet up, napping...

I've discovered that the days fly by just as quickly whether The Bean is here with me or not. When we spend our days together I am so busy keeping her entertained and doing 'stuff' around the place that the day seems to disappear in the blink of an eye. When she is not here with me I find that she is never far from my thoughts and the day passes quickly as I anxiously look forward to having her home again.

Perhaps I don't miss the pre-child days as much as I sometimes think I do? I usually find I miss my ‘old life’ when I have had a particularly challenging or busy day. On those types of days it is easy to forget how much fuller my days are now and just how rewarding this 'new life' is. While having some time to myself has been amazing (and much needed), it has also reminded me that I wouldn't change anything about my new life for the world*.

*No doubt I’ll occasionally need reminding of this when I am home with two little ones…



No comments:

Post a Comment