Monday 23 September 2013

Jump and shout

It appears that the 'terrible twos' may have arrived with a bang after experiencing a few epic tantrums from The Bean two days in a row. Up until now we have been able to reason with her (up to a point). When she starts to get upset or whiney we can usually calm her down and redirect her frustration before she completely loses her cool. Over the last two days we haven't been quick enough to fend off the screaming, crying, shouting, stomping and belligerence that was her reaction to some seemingly routine events.

Tantrums notwithstanding, The Bean is at a truly delightful stage at the moment. Her affection for us is blossoming (which is particularly nice for me as she has always been daddy's little girl) and she is proving to be a sweet and caring little girl.

I'm sure that my reactions to her future tantrums will usually fall somewhere between embarrassed and annoyed, but right now when I see her lose control it just makes me sad. I am beginning to see in her an intense vulnerability and it breaks my heart. I can see that she is beginning to understand that things won't always go the way she expects, and that the unknown frightens her. It makes me sad because I know she is scared, not simply frustrated or angry. I know because even though she is wailing and protesting, she will cling to us, arms wrapped tight around our neck begging us not to let go.

I am anxiously awaiting my maternity leave so that I can squeeze in some more quality time with her before her world is turned upside down with the arrival of her little sister. Perhaps it is because she is (finally) being affectionate (perhaps even a little clingy) that I am feeling a fierce and desperate need to be with her every minute to protect her, to make sure that no harm comes her way and to comfort her when there is sadness or fear in her eyes.

While she is mid-tantrum I will have to work hard to keep my cool and remember that it is her that is having difficulty controlling her emotions, that she needs my support, and that I need to keep a cool head and not get drawn into all the drama. Let's see how well I manage that in the middle of a supermarket...



No comments:

Post a Comment