Sunday 9 September 2012

Just three things?

“Be content with what you have; rejoice in the way things are. When you realise there is nothing lacking, the whole world belongs to you.” Lao Tzu
In my darker moments it is easy to focus on things I perceive to be wrong with my life or the world at large. It can be easy to get caught in a downward spiral of regret, resentment and despair.
I once started a ‘gratitude journal’ where I was to write down three things at the end of each day that I was grateful for. My journal lasted exactly one day. It struck me as ridiculous that I should have to sit down and think about three things when there are countless things that I am grateful for each and every day. How could I possibly narrow it down to just three?
As I enjoyed a sun-drenched spring picnic in the park across the road today with my gorgeous husband and daughter, I had a moment to reflect on just how many things I have to be grateful for. If I had to narrow it down to three things, it would be: my amazing network of family and friends; my little homemy sanctuary and a place of peace and joy; and the fact that I don’t hate Mondays because I truly love my job. (See how I slipped in a few extras into the opening of this paragraph? I told you I couldn’t keep it to just three).
It is strange for me to hear people use the word ‘content’ in a negative manner. If you are ‘content’ with your job then you lack drive and ambition. If you are ‘content’ in a relationship then you have settled or compromised. When did feeling content become a failing? If I could wish only one thing for The Bean in her life then I would wish her contentment, because with contentment comes peace, acceptance and happiness.

My precious daughter is usually far too busy to stop and cuddle, but when she does slow down for a moment to wrap her arms around my neck and stare into my eyes, I feel a rush of peace and love that overwhelms me. She reminds me that I already have everything I could ever want or need.

In my darker moments I just need to remind myself that I don’t have to go looking for the things that make me happy, because they already exist around me wherever I am. I need to stop trying to count my blessings and just keep on living them.


No comments:

Post a Comment