Sunday 2 September 2012

Red and yellow and pink and green...

The Bean and I had a lovely day celebrating Father’s Day, albeit without dada. The nature of my husband’s work means that he works shifts, and rarely knows if he is going to finish on time. Typically of a special occasion, he ended up having to do overtime today.

The Bean and I did some drawing in the morning, chased the cats around for a while, and practised counting (…eight, nine, ten, yellow). We had a walk and then a picnic in the park in the gorgeous Canberra spring sunshine for lunch. We put on a Play School CD and danced around the dining room together. We curled up on the couch and read “Har Carly” (Hairy Maclary) and ‘Where is the Green Sheep’ before her afternoon sleep. All in all a perfect, relaxed day with my little girl, but of course there was one thing missing…


I don’t think I could ever thank my husband enough for all that he does for us. He works hard, he loves cooking, and he does more than his fair share of the household duties. He is ever calm, has unending patience, and is totally unflappable. He cares for us, protects us, and most importantly he loves us - and he tells us and shows us in so many ways every single day.

He and The Bean have a beautiful bond and like any good daughter, she has him well and truly wrapped around her little finger. When he finally walked through the door tonight after his long day he was greeted with the sight of a little girl so excited that she literally dropped her jaw, half an apricot fell out of her mouth, and she kicked her legs and waved her hands in the air and shouted ‘Yaaaaay’! As much as I love my one-on-one time with The Bean, I admit I shouted ‘Yaaaaay’ in my head. I may or may not have dropped a little food out of my mouth as well...


As I write I am listening to the dada-daughter bedtime routine. Tonight’s song is ‘I can sing a rainbow’ which he is patiently repeating as she valiantly attempts to copy him. I always knew he would be a wonderful father, and every interaction he has with her reinforces that. She is too young to know it right now, but one day she will look back and realise just how lucky she is to have been loved by such an amazing man.

Happy Father’s Day babe.



No comments:

Post a Comment